Friday, August 31, 2018

Sustainable September 2018 - And so it begins again Q&A

It's that time of year again, where you can count on me to be here every day... sharing what I lovingly call Environmental Kindnesses during Sustainable September. 
I thought I would answer a few questions to set the coming month in motion...

Why do I do Sustainable September on a Kindness blog?

One of the things that people often forget is that kindness doesn’t have to be only for other humans. It is a gift that we can give to creatures great and small, ourselves and the environment. 

This earth sustains life. Our lives. It seems like a small thing to take one month out of every year to help give back and help preserve the environment for future generations. That is a kindness to our children too. Kindness can simply be making the world a better place for those who are yet to be born, or those who are yet to grow up. 

We can kindly make the world a better place for others and for ourselves. But most of all we can choose to live more sustainably so other people, plants, organisms and animals have a better chance at living their best lives.

How long have you been doing Sustainable September?

So for the last 4 years I have been working to create a Sustainable life for myself, and to inspire others to make simple changes for the benefit of all. It is important to be kind to ourselves, each other, other living things and particularly the environment which sustains us.

What will Sustainable September Focus on this year?

One of the things that stops a lot of people with regular old kindnesses (not that there is realy a thing as 'regular' or 'old' about kindness) but that they think it requires a lot of cash to do it. That is simply not true. However, this year I thought I would share money saving ways to help the environment AND put some money back in your pockets to save up to do that kindness that you have been wanting to do for ages. Or to, you know, help you pay the bills.

What is new this year?

So in May I moved from Australia to Wales, and I am currently preparing for a new move to England. 

I have just gotten my first job in Archaeology in the UK. And I am super excited!!!
I have been pretty lucky that I could get work in my field of study after such a long time of study.

So while we will be doing Sustainable September together, we can explore our own cities, or in my case a new city, and find eco-friendly options.

This month I will be attempting to share some of the things I am doing or have started here.
One of the things I would like to take this sustainable September to look at is how living environmentally friendly can actually save you money. It doesn’t have to be an expensive lifestyle change. In fact it can actually save you a lot of money and I want to show you how.

What have you learned in the UK?

I used my last 3 months in Wales to learn about and support the first Zero Waste stores in Cardiff. I am so excited that there will be a not for profit Zero Waste store opening in the coming months there. You can follow @ripple_living on Instagram, and i even supported their Kickstarter campaign. 

On a side note: I will be returning to Cardiff regularly (as that is where my boyfriend lives). So if you see some of the things I share it will be a mix of England and Wales. 

Where else can I find out about Kindness? 

There are literally hundreds of amazing websites, profiles, pages and people who promote Kindness in this world. I encourage you to seek them out, share them and encourage them. It will make a huge difference to them, as it does to me.  

If you want to find out about the 365 Days of Kindness Facebook page click the link here

You can also follow me personally on Instagram (which is pretty new for me) @daenaguest. I must admit there is a lot of posts about good books, yummy food, kindness and sustainable practices on there already. I am also on Pinterest (but not as much these days). So feel free to check either social media account out, and if it aligns with your values, please follow me, if not... Thanks for thinking about it. 

I want to thank you all for reading this far and I wish you all the best in whatever you do. I hope you keep checknig out Sustainable September though. It's pretty awesome, if I do say so myself... and I do! hehehhe.

If you have any more questions please don't hesitate to ask. 

Much love to you all,
Daena Guest



No comments:

Post a Comment