Monday, September 19, 2016

Sustainable September 2016 - Day Twenty

Hello my wonderful sustainable September cheer squad. 

What a great day today?! It was both warm and sunny during the day and cold and wet overnight here so it's been quite lush around the house and garden today. 

I spent a chunk of today doing housework and cooking. A little bit of experimentation in the food arena meant I had some success and some dismal failures. But either way our chickens will love any rejects. 🐓🐓🐓🐓🐓 (yes we have 5 of them!).

So today's sustainable September idea is a tiny bit adventurous but still pretty simple. So I hope you like it. 

Sustainable September Day Twenty: make a "rubbish free lunch". 

Last year I wrote about this because it was so amazing hearing about how one class of kids had used so many plastic and alfoil wrappers in one morning tea. Let alone lunch and let alone per week. It is quite mind boggling. 

Here at the house we have been working on reducing the amount of rubbish the kids take to school. We pack my niece and nephews lunches and snacks into reusable plastic containers that come home in their lunch boxes to be washed every day. However I did discover there are lots of other ways to do lunches that don't have waste that will end up on landfill. 

If you want to make reusable Lunch bags instead of plastic containers, you could make one using the video below: 


And lastly here are some upcycled Eco friendly sandwich wraps. These are pretty cool. 


This might use some of those things you have already lying around the house. Except for the Velcro. Not everyone has Velcro. Hahha

There are also lots of rubbish free alternatives. Everything from Tupperware to metal containers. 
I don't usually advocate for plastic containers for food. however, I like to think that if I buy my Tupperware second hand (like from an opshop) I am helping the environment in a couple of different ways. 

Kindness idea: leave a little note in your husbands/kids/your own lunch box. 

I think this idea can be quite sweet particularly when it comes to little notes to say you care and love the person you are giving it too. 

I saw this collection of funny notes parents have left for their kids. This is NOT an example of what to do for your kindness.  However it did make me laugh and I thought it might brighten your day too: 
Funny Notes Left In Kids Lunch Boxes

Front lines: European "Don't waste your waste" campaign.  This is a lot about educating the masses on sustainable practices. Reducing the amount of waste you produce which ties in to the sustainable September idea for today, just on a much larger scale. 



I hope you enjoyed that one. 

Have a great day, 
Love Daena X

No comments:

Post a Comment