Sunday, September 21, 2014

Sustainable September Day Twenty Two Kindness Idea

Hello my lovelies,

I'm trying to get a little more organised... here is a post just after 2pm! YAY! :) heheheh...

So yesterday was to check out the different power sites to find ways to reduce your use of power and then your use of fossil fuels.

"Turn off standby power and save up $150 a year" is one of my favourite ideas from the Western Power website. I do this every evening before I go to bed. I turn off all the power to the TV, CD player, DVD player, Kettle, lamps, Computer, printer etc. I keep the switches off when not using them. Saves us lots of money and power too.

"Vacuum the dust from the fridge condenser coil at the back of the fridge to help keep your refrigerator running at optimal efficiency," is my favourite idea from the Synergy website. I love that this is an idea I haven't heard before. So cool.


Tomorrows Sustainable September Kindness idea is:

Monday – 22 September – Buy in bulk. Buying in bulk not only saves you money in the long run but reduces the mounts of packaging that goes into landfill.

I usually buy Rice in 5kg Cotton Rice Bags, that I then decant into a Tupperware container for storage. I then use the old rice bags for laundry bags particularly for your “delicates”.

My sister and some of her friends have organised a small co-operative for buying in bulk. They get things like eco/recycled toilet paper (“Who Gives a Crap” – that's the name of the toilet paper), organic nuts, Coconut oil, organic fruit, organic cacao powder and organic cacao butter... and they are just the things my sister has told me about. They have it all arranged to work best for everyone. I like that this is a small community. They have found that buying organic products in bulk is so much cheaper than buying them individually... dramatically reducing the overall cost. 

Who Gives a Crap is a toilet paper company that is both environmentally friendly and world friendly. "50% of our profits [go] to WaterAid to build toilets and improve sanitation in the developing world".
Shops like FAL or Cash and Carry usually sell in bulk to supermarkets and retailers, so if you can get your own card to go there, then you can buy in bulk for personal use or organise to share it (dividing both product and cost) among your friends and family. You can also do this directly from wholesalers.

There are so many ways to buy in bulk, with a co-op or individually.

Hope you all go well. 

Luv Daena x

2 comments:

  1. Cash and carry accept RACWA membership! #tip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know that! That is awesome! I have an RAC membership! :)

      They also receive the Entertainment Guide Cards too (if I remember correctly)

      Thanks for the tip! :) Luv Daena x

      Delete