Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Sustainable September 2017 - Day Twenty One

SEPTEMBER 21 (THURSDAY)

CLEANING - LAUNDRY 

Hello!!!

Welcome back to sustainable September 2017! 

Yesterday was a bit of a milestone for me. I finally reached 300 posts on my blog! Which was super exciting! It's taken many years and lots of failed attempts at writing to get that many up and running! I am so glad it's such a wonderful milestone. 

Thank you to everyone who supports me with the blog, particularly my close friends and my super supportive family. Much love to you all!!! 

Window cleaning was yesterday's idea. I was going to do a before and after shot of my worst window but after photographing it several times and still not being happy with it I decided that telling you about it would be better. It was in a terrible state... it looks much better now. All because I cleaned my window with vinegar and newspaper. It's nice to have a clean window. All I need to do now is clean the other 20 or so! Bummer we have so much glass in our house! It might take me a long time to get it done. 

Sustainable September Day Twenty One: do your laundry sustainably. 

What does that mean? It means looking at the following video and learn how to care for you clothes better, so they last longer and look better too! 

Sunrise special on clothes.  (This is a Facebook link, sadly I couldn't find it on YouTube).

What you can do to reduce the amount of waste you make in the laundry? or how can you reduce the amount of harmful chemicals you are personally putting out into our waterways? Laundry can be done simply and so environmentally friendly.

Interestingly, my family all does it differently, depending on their own abilities and preferences (some of us are further along on our sustainable and Waste free journeys). My brother in law buys the best Eco brand of washing liquid he can find and buys it in bulk (thus reducing waste). Mum gets the old laundry detergent refilled (in the plastic container She bought ages ago). I use whatever I can and then vinegar as I would a fabric softener (1/4 cup in the fabric softener drawer or centre pillar in our top loader washing machine) and it's awesome. However, I have also used Soap nuts when I was house sitting for a friend. I quite like them. 



 I need to purchase some for myself. You need to make sure they are in a fabric bag with a tight drawstring or a zip before you chuck them in because they can come out of their bag and attach themselves to your clothes... which isn't very fun. I know from experience. Whoops. So use a small bag and they are really good. 

Here is a little video from a zero waste advocate... she uses a few different options in her washing routine. So it's worth a look. 



ACTIVITY: do a load (or 3) of washing using as little detergent as possible, as well as using the least amount of waste as you can. If you are feeling brave you can also check out soap nuts too! It's on my shopping list for tomorrow at The Wasteless Pantry

Anyway, I hope you are learning new things and enjoying sustainable September this year. I keep leaning more and more each year... building on the knowledge from the year before. I keep implementing new ideas each year too. Sometimes I feel like I'm moving forward on my journey and other times I feel like I'm going backwards. But even if I just keep to the small changes I make... it is making a difference. 

Enjoy your day.
Love Daena x

No comments:

Post a Comment