Friday, September 18, 2015

Sustainable September 2015 - Day Nineteen

Hello again!

Thank you for coming back again! :)

What have you been up to today? Today I have still rested, and also decided to steam mop the house. I have decided the steam mop does NOT bring me joy! I have a pretty tiny house, but when you have to actually steam mop three rooms (the bathroom, laundry and kitchen) takes 3 hours to clean, its just easier to get the ordinary mop out. So my solution is that I will be getting rid of the steam mop (with my mums blessing of course). It is amazing that now I am looking around the house with a thought to de-junk and live a less impact-full lifestyle, I am noticing the stuff that sits in areas and collects dust.

Today when I was resting I was reading more of Zero Waste Home! I am almost half way through! :) One thing Bea Johnson talks about is living a minimal life so that you do not have to spend so much time cleaning (thankfully) and you have more time to do things you enjoy, like spending time with family and friends.

One thing that came up is a bit of a love of mine. A secret love of the Capsule Wardrobe.

Picture from Adventure Chick via Pinterest.

September 19: Create a Capsule wardrobe. 

For those who don't know what it is, it is about having a wardrobe where everything is classic style and can be mixed and matched so that you can layer and it all matches/contrasts. It often means having a very small collection of clothing that is good quality and long lasting. I used a capsule Wardrobe when I went to Europe in May. It meant I only needed to take Hand luggage, and it had 3 weeks worth of clothes. Amazingly there were still a few pieces of clothing that I didn't use, and a couple that had to be replaced on the way. I was so in love with the idea that I learnt a lot about myself and my purchasing habits along the way. I got lots of my ideas from Pinterest. If you want to see what I am talking about you can look at my Travel Wardrobe folder here.

I also used the App on my iPhone called Stylebook. It helped me figure out what would go with what for my travelling. I also use it now to make sure when I buy something it will go with the rest of my wardrobe. It sounds weird, but i found it fun. You can also see how much stuff you have. Like that massive pile of clothing that was in my lounge room yesterday, you can avoid, overbuying.

We are often compelled to buy more and more, and then we find that we have less and less to wear. When you have a compact wardrobe it is easy to choose what to wear because you wear what you have, and it all matches or contrasts so it all works together. You also are more likely to look after the clothes you have rather than finding them disposable. 80% of all cloth that is not usable goes to landfill. Reducing this percentage for ourselves is really important.

I admit I am not perfect. When I started creating a capsule wardrobe in May, I had a lot of clothing that didn't fit into this philosophy, and some of it doesn't work for me, or bring me joy, any more (hence why I got rid of 5 bags). I also learned that for this to work you need to buy quality clothing with durable fabrics. I had been buying cheap clothes that died pretty quickly, and now I buy better quality ones so that I know that they will last the distance. I have discovered that you don't need to spend a fortune to get a good quality capsule wardrobe when you check out the Thrift stores/Op Shops either! :) Buying second hand is a great option when you are looking for quality because items of clothing have been pre-tested for you. Don't you hate getting that t shirt home only to discover it gets covered in pills in a day? or the jeans that even after washing them 5 times, still leave your legs blue? I like charity stores/thrift-shops/op-shops for helping me to get the things I want or need for my wardrobe. Like recently I bought 3 beautiful scarves for $3AUD total ($1AUD each) at a St Vinnes store. YAY! i have had so many people ask me where I got my grey scarf from, because it also doubles as a wrap in cool weather! Plus recycling clothes is better for the environment! Having less helps your immediate environment, because you are using what you have. It definitely saves you money because you are less likely to buy clothes that do not fit in the capsule!

One of Bea Johnsons suggestions and reasons for having a small wardobe is in case of emergency. She is able to literally throw everything into a suitcase and nothing gets left behind. I think this is super important in an area like where my sister lives, that is prone to Bushfires. She lives in a beautifully lucious and green area filled with trees, bushes, greenery, native animals and birds It is beautiful. It is also dangerous. In the 8 years that they have lived in the house in the hills they have had to evacuate 3 times. The last time was the closest to their home. Thank the heavens their house has been safe every time! I see the benefit for a capsule wardrobe so that we can get our clothes out of the house in the case of an evacuation. It could also something that could help when you have to rush for national or international travel in a hurry. I have had friends and family in other countries who I wished (at various times) that i could just pop on a plane and be by their side. Having a capsule wardrobe means you could pack and be in the airport fast! I like that idea. I guess because it is based in kindness. Being for people you love in their time of need. Making that easier has to be worth it! :)

For clothes that aren't worth keeping and have huge stains and rips in them, consider turning them into house hold rags to use in the place of paper towels. 

KINDNESS IDEA: Buy socks for Homeless people. Often the one thing that is needed most for Homeless people is socks and it is often the thing that is not remembered that is needed. Warm/thick socks are usually good during winter months. And lighter ones during hotter months. But buy what you think you would wear. There is even a campaign in my city for this purpose exactly at the moment it is called Socks in the City. Check it out here.

I hope this finds you all well!
Love Daena x

No comments:

Post a Comment