Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Sustainable September 2015 - Day Twenty Three

Hello my lovelies,

So I had some help with my mending from my amazing mother. Not that I couldn't have done it myself but she was using the sewing machine for some of her patchwork quilts, so I sneaked my fraying tea towel in to mix ready to show you how simple mending can be! 

The frayed tea towel, that needs some fixing!
My awesome Mum doing the mending for me.
My mum is a champion, and does mending for people she knows.
Such a clever cookie!
And DONE!!!! YAY!!! All fixed! :) Hooray!!!
DONE!!! Bravo mum! Thank you again for helping me with this Sustainable September idea! :) 

Today's is another simple idea to adopt or in this case refuse. I know we have been working out way down the pyramid of the 5 Rs in Zero Waste Home, but I realised this one is going to be a good habit to adopt if you can. 

September 23: say no to paper Receipts! 

I don't know about you but my wallet is filled with useless receipts! Then when my purse/wallet gets so full I can't close it, I basically remove every scrap of paper and start again with my receipt collection! Then empty it again about a month later. 

I understand that some people have to keep certain receipts for tax purposes or to get some things refunded to them. My office has certain things that they will refund you money for when you pay up front, like your Working with Children's Check forms & card. 

The rest of the receipts are virtually useless & contribute to landfill one tiny piece at a time. 

If we reduce our own waste we reduce the amount of stuff ending up in landfill, which contributes to green house gasses building in our atmosphere, which cause human induced climate change. 

Recent article that I was reading today was about how Scientists in the US think that the governing body of garbage disposal has hugely underestimated the impact of garbage dumps and their creation of certain green house gases. So the less that ends up in garbage dumps the better! :)

KINDNESS IDEA: mend something for a friend/family member. I did this one earlier this quarter for my best friend before she went on her overdue honey moon. A pair of shorts she bought had the button fall off whilst she was trying them on at home before packing. So I fixed them for her so she didn't have to worry about finding the time to do so before her European honeymoon adventure! Sewing a button on is pretty simple! And it made a huge difference to Tanya! :) love that girl!

I hope you are fit, happy and healthy. And if not all of those things than at least one! :) 

Much love to you all,
Daena x

No comments:

Post a Comment