Sunday, March 26, 2017

Lent gifting day 26

 Sometimes the hardest things to let go of are the free things. Saying no to free things when you don't want them or need them can seem hard particularly when you think you "might" use them in the future. 

My family and some awesome friends have a system of distribution for getting rid of clothes. People pass things on to me to check out if I want it, then I pass those things on to other people. Sometimes they end up at the op-shop but more often than not they end up with friends of mine who are financially struggling which makes a difference to us all. 

Today's kindness is a dress that came through this system of passing along clothes. Something that I essentially got for free. 
 
I saw this dress and when I put it on I thought it was pretty good so kept it. It's been sitting in my cupboard for 2 months and I haven't even looked at it. I had face the fact that it was a great dress in theory but in practice I have other clothes I prefer. So I'm passing this one along to my little network of people who need clothes. So although this one is part of this lent "gifting" it won't be going to a charity but to a friend. 

On a different note, there is something wonderful about knowing that your family do kindnesses in their own ways. My nephew makes cups of tea for my mum (it's a real winner). My Brother-in-law volunteers time with scouts and donates blood (here in Australia it's a charitable donation you can't earn money from blood donations). My niece helps her friends in class by getting their chairs out for them. My sister volunteers her time as a Joey Scout leader even though she no longer has a joey scout in the house. My mum donates her time and effort to working as the CWA community coordinator. And well... then there is me. 

I often help mum in her role take deliveries of hand made & new purchased items to hospitals, nursing homes, homeless shelters, refuges, charities and to school chaplains. I am always amazed at the generosity of my fellow CWA ladies. It is always a profound privilege giving these things over to those need them. I get to play Kindness fairy and represent the women who did all the hard work at the same time. It's a lot of fun too!!! 

I'm so proud of my family who do their own acts of kindness. They give their time, money and energy to help other people. 

Have you noticed anyone in YOUR family, or close friends group, who is doing kindnesses? What are you most proud of them for? 

Much love to you all, 
Daena xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment