Thursday, September 15, 2016

Sustainable September 2016 - Day Fifteen

Hi everyone, 

How are you all? 

Today was lovely here in Perth. I went for a walk and saw the most beautiful flowers on the side of the road. It's just Spring here and all the flowers are lovely and coming out in full force.

 
Don't you just love the colours? 

So seeing as the sun is out I thought I would share a sun related idea. 

Sustainable September Day Fifteen: Dry your washing outside in the sun instead of in the dryer. 

I know that there are days when washing just does not dry. I used to live in England and I remember that there were times when it took days for one load to dry. And getting clothes outside was silly because they would freeze over night. 

It makes a huge difference to the environment and your power usage to not use a dryer. Especially when you use the power and heat of the sun to dry your clothes! 

Here we have to dry our clothes on a sunny day on the deck because the birds are multiplying around here and so there are so many in the trees above where we have our hills hoist (or outside washing line). And if the clothes are not under cover they end up covered in bird poo. Hahha. Such is the nature of breeding season. 

Kindness idea: volunteer at a local bird sanctuary or reserve. 

Originally when I was planning tomorrow's idea it wasn't going to be about birds but I kind of fell in love with the idea because birds are so amazing and diverse and are a great indicator of our environment. 

When I was homeschooling as a 14 year old I volunteered at the Fauna Rehabilitation Foundation in Perth, Western Australia. It helps sick and injured birds and animals heal with the intention or releasing them back into the wild. 

I worked as a volunteer for them one day a week for over two years. I loved it. I learned how to care for and feed all kinds of Australian animals and birds. 

I particularly fell in love with caring for the ducks. I had four ducklings in my care until they could be put into a larger enclosure with more of their kind. My job was to clean out their cage and bath them. Yes. That's right I got to put four little ducklings in a bath to teach them how to swim. They weren't all the same type of duck either. There were three pacific ducks and one woodland duck. I got the privilege of naming them too. Huey, Louie, Duey and Bob. You can figure out which was Bob! 😉
What I really got to understand was how these services help the environment and those creatures living in it. And I still treasure my time spent learning how to care for these amazing and precious animals and birds.

Front line: so this is a gorgeous story about kindness and about looking after birds. It is also about preserving the environment for future generations of humans and wildlife. This is a story from America and it melts my heart. 



I hope you enjoyed today's kindness idea. 

Sending love to you all. 
Love Daena X 

No comments:

Post a Comment