Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Sustainable September 2016 - Day Twenty Eight

Hi all, 

I had one of those days where I sat down to write the entry for Sustainable September, I got cold so wiggled into bed to write it on my phone. Then I woke up several hours later. I fell asleep whilst writing the following resource. So if there are a few mistakes, forgive me please. Clearly I was exhausted. 

Today's idea can be simple, depending on what you choose to do. 

Sustainable September Day Twenty Eight: repair or mend something instead of chucking it out. 

Last year I mended a tea towel (with my mums help - mainly so I could photograph the progress). 

So I have the perfect project for this one. It is a slow one because of the size of the project I have already started. It won't all get finished in one bit but it will be good once it is finally finished. 

Earlier this year I found a gorgeous arm chair on the side of the road. It has a lot of problems, the least of which were the colour, which I have already removed. 

 

I have been doing research about how to upholster it. YouTube is fantastic for educating people about a range of hands on projects. And so I keep watching videos to help me figure out how to rebuild it and make it last for another several years. 

I got this one for free and in the shops they can range from $300 - $1500AUD for this type of thing. So I figure I could spend a lot on it and still be in front. Particularly because I have always wanted a chair like this one. 

Environmentally speaking getting rid of something instead of repairing something just adds to landfill. The more stuff we can keep out of landfill the better. Less methane and less Co2 emitted to the atmosphere. :) 

Plus I love getting someone else's "rubbish" and turning it into a loveable item again. 

Front lines: 'The Story Of Stuff' with Annie Leonard. 

I saw this and thought it was really interesting and about the same type of thing as this days idea. 


Kindness idea: encourage another. 

We have enough people acting as critics already and encouraging each other's is so important. It doesn't have to be elaborate. It just has to be simple. 

Much love to you all, 
Daena x

No comments:

Post a Comment