Friday, September 23, 2016

Sustainable September 2016 - Day TwentyFour

Hi everyone, 
I have to keep it short and sharp today. 

Sustainable September Day TwentyFour: only heat as much water as you will use in your kettle. 

This may seem a little bit weird but when I was doing research on tea and tea bags this interesting fact came up. If we overfill our kettles instead of boiling only what we need we could be wasting more energy than a lot of other electrical tools in our homes. It could save up to about $13 a year on electrical bills alone (News.Com.Au 2016).

"At first glance, the idea of only putting the water you need to use into the kettle seems pretty finicky. After all, boiling an electric kettle to make a cup of tea only requires about 0.03125kWh of electricity and generates around 0.015kg CO2. However, according to the UK Tea Council, as a nation we guzzle 165m cups of tea and 70m cups of coffee each day. If, as some figures suggest, we habitually boil twice as much water as we need, we could be needlessly wasting some 3,525 tonnes of CO2 every day...The EST concluded that if we each boil the water we need to make a cup of tea instead of filling the kettle every time, we could save enough electricity in a year to run nearly half of all the street lighting in the country." 
The Guardian 2016. 

I even did up a little video about how to get the right amount of water in your kettle. Now I was really tired when I did the video so I am sure some whole sentences are missing, but it wouldn't be me if it wasn't a little rough around the edges. 


I hope you like it. 

Front Lines: TED Talk by Leyla Acaroglu: Paper beats plastic? How to rethink environmental folk lore. 

This is about a 20 minute video but it talks about how designers need to look at changing designs of things to make them more environmentally friendly.  



Kindness idea: donate old furniture and appliances to an opshop or to a shelter. 

This year I started supporting a women's domestic abuse resettlement organisation. They give women seeking sanctuary a safe house filled with furniture (that's donated by ordinary people like you time) as a once off starting package. I love supporting these people. I will never meet the women, men and children I am helping but it is so important. 

Hope this finds you all well. 

Love to you all, 
Daena x 

No comments:

Post a Comment