Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Lent - a tradition of giving something up

Hi everyone,
Today is the first day of lent, the 40 day leed up to Easter. Lent is typically a Christian tradition. 

"Lent is a season of forty days, not counting Sundays, which begins on Ash Wednesday and ends on Holy Saturday. Lent comes from the Anglo Saxon word lencten, which means "spring." The forty days represents the time Jesus spent in the wilderness, enduring the temptation of Satan and preparing to begin his ministry." (From United Methodist church)

I know a lot of people who read my blog aren't Christian, or religious at all. But no matter which God/ goddess or collection of deities you worship, or do not worship as the case may be, please know you are welcome. I often say, even though I was brought up in a Christian church, that my own religion is Kindness. 

Anyway, back to lent. In some ways Lent is like a more realistic New Years Resolution. Instead of promising to do something or give something up for a whole year, you just have to promise to do it for 40 days. Over the years I have given up all kinds of things from chocolate, candy, soft drinks and the like. This year I am going to give up "stuff". 

I have been listening to the back catalogue of the Podcast by The Minimalists. And have been examining the roll "stuff" has in my life. Those of you who read this blog know I have also had an obsession with Maria Kondo (and the KonMari method of dejunking). I like to bring these up with Sustainable September when talking about living a more sustainable life. 

So why Lent? 

I was inspired by a Facebook post I saw with the following picture (apologies as I can't give credit to the original owner of the photo - as the picture had come through a few different sources and all of them led to a different page). 
 
Either way I believe the intention of the photo was to get people to let go of things and donate them to a worthy cause. It doesn't even have to be to the Salvation Army, it could be to any charity or family who you think needs something more than you. It's like a 40 day exercise on regifting. Hehhehe. 

I like this because it helps bring an awesome lead up to Easter and it also promotes kindness in our communities. :) that's got to be worth 40 of your items right? 

I have a group of friends & family playing along at home with this one too. So it will be great to see how many people can do this for 40 days. 

So let's start with my day one... 
 

Panty hose - I must admit I hate these things... not this particular brand or anything just panty hose in general. I'd prefer to have my pale legs shine in the starlight than wear these. I think my legs are so white they might even twinkle (glow in the dark anyone? Hehehe).  

So I am grateful to pass on these unused pantyhose. I think I only wore one pair out of the 6 in there. Don't worry I didn't put the used ones back in the packet - instead of chucking the used ones in the rubbish bin they are holding up plants in my garden!!! 😬😜 and what a fantastic job they are doing too! So much better than strangling my little legs! Bahaha. 

Even though I don't love these leg traps of doom, I know that someone else WILL appreciate them. Just because I am not a fan doesn't mean someone else won't love them for more than garden suspension! 😝

So what would you be willing to give up in your house to donate to charity?

Love to you all!!! 

And in the words of "THE" Ellen 'Be kind to one another!' 

Love Daena xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment