Thursday, September 13, 2018

Sustainable September 2018 Day 13


Yesterday I got to play with a metal detector at work! 
Sadly it was because I had lost one of my constant companions, my silver Celtic ring! After all the searching & playing with that fun toy, I still couldn’t find it... which is sad but I have to remind myself it’s just a thing. 

It has served me years, and given me lots of enjoyment. That will teach me to wear loose rings at work in the field. I guess that’s the risks of being an archaeologist! I could replace it with a new one or I could use the next idea to find something I love. 

The next simple Sustainable September idea for money saving is ... 

Day 13. Buy second hand

This alone will save you a fortune.

I have personally decided I want to stick to the 80/20 rule. 80% of my purchases for homewares and clothes I want to get second hand, and save 20% for new good quality stuff. I will show you how I will set it up.

I record any clothing I purchase and then figure out a grid. I usually make sure its easy to multiply/divide into and 80/20 ratio and then colour in the boxes and keep an eye on what I purchase.

Some things you have to purchase new. I had to have new Steel cap work boots for work (and needed them immediately) so I had to accept Work purchasing me brand new ones. But I got reasonable quality ones so that they would last.

Buying good quality second hand goods can mean that you can often save more than 50% of the original price of the item. Sometimes it’s much cheaper than that, depending on what you are looking at and where you resource it from. I do a lot of this with clothes now. Second hand shops and thrift stores and even eBay! 

I hope this finds you all well.
love Daena x

No comments:

Post a Comment