Saturday, September 29, 2018

Sustainable September 2018 Day 29


Today is my mums birthday. A day that I, sadly, won’t be with her to celebrate. 

However it is also somewhat of a milestone for me. I celebrated the end of the fourth week of work at my job as an archaeologist, a job that mum has always supported me in pursuing. 

My mum has been an amazing influence throughout my life, encouraging me and supporting me to do and be the best I could be. All despite some of the harder things we’ve been through. Which brings me to the Sustainable September idea for...

Day 29. Educate yourself 

This seems silly to almost finish off with but as we are coming to the end of Sustainable September, it seems important to include it.

Learning skills you haven’t learned before, that can help you reduce, reuse, recycle, rot or even refuse things coming into your house, can make a huge difference.

If it is learning how to make fruit jam from left over cheap fruits from the local supermarket that would otherwise end up in landfill, or learning how to make a worm farm, from learning how to sew a button, or learning how to reupholster a chair (that project is still in Australia for me to finish another time), it may cost a small amount upfront but the skills you learn in the long-term will make up for it.

The saying goes… “If you give a man a fish, you can feed him for a day. But if you teach a man to fish… you can get rid of him for the whole weekend!” wait… no… that’s not it! Hehehe.  “If you give a man a fish, you can feed him for a day. But if you teach a man to fish he can feed himself for a lifetime.”

This also means learning and watching through TV, media, documentaries, podcasts etc. 

I’ve learned so much from podcasts and documentaries over the last few years. It’s been really educational. 

I hope you are enjoying the last few days of Sustainable September! 

Much love to you all, 
Daena x

No comments:

Post a Comment